Thursday, November 6, 2008

The world of custom clothes, Pt. 2

So now that you’re armed with the knowledge necessary to make an educated decision it’s time to tell you more on WHY you should go custom. It comes down to one statement that I believe to be true across the board. Well fitting clothes are the cornerstone to looking like an adult. How you act is entirely up to you but at least your jackass ways will look good.

My shoulders are broad with a chest to match. Years of swimming have caused that to happen and it’s not going away. That’s an issue for me buying ready-wear shirts because if they fit in the shoulders and chest it will be crazy boxy towards my waist making me look a good 10 – 15lbs heavier then I am. I can’t have that. As a big guy already, adding the illusion that I’m heavier isn’t cool. As Patrick Bateman said, “You can always be skinnier”.

The process of getting something made uniquely to you is pretty great. The sales person who is always very knowledgeable about all things fashion and fit will come to your office or home. You’ll get measured and do all your selecting and in 6-8 short weeks there is a nice surprise for you in the mail. You feel like a true baller when in fact it’s not setting you back financially.

The place I’ve been getting my clothes from is in NYC called Astor and Black. They are fantastic and have yet to let me down. They don’t have anyone that does fittings in Dallas yet, so what I’ve found is when I’m there (NYC) I stop by and select a dozen or so fabrics that I would eventually want. When I’m ready I have my girl make 5.

Many places that do custom clothes, like Astor and Black have minims which can be frustrating. I don’t generally NEED 5 new shirts at a time but sometimes that’s how you gotta roll.

A new place that has been highly recommended that I’m going to try in the coming months is located in Dallas called J. Hilburn. They don’t have a minimum to buy which is very nice. I’ll let you all know how they turn out but I’m sure it’ll be great.

I pose this question to you all. How much do you spend on a nice dress shirt? $80? $100? If you’re like me you might spend another $20-30 on tailoring. So with tax on both you could be looking at close to $150 a shirt. Why not save the pain in the ass that is buying something you can’t ware immediately, getting it tailored that might not get be right the first round and just go custom?

My shirts cost less than $150. Sure I have to wait a little longer but the result is a perfect fit. So save time, money, and a headache while feeling cooler than the other guy because until now, you thought getting your clothes made for you was out of the question. Go forth and be better than the next guy.

No comments: